SOV Composers' Academy
New project for young composers in cooperation with De Bijloke Music Centre
Each year, the Flanders Symphony Orchestra assigns various composition commissions. New music is a permanent fixture within the operation of the orchestra: from Mauricio Kagel and Piet Swerts, through Fulco Ottervanger and Joris Blanckaert, to Annelies Van Parys and Peter Vermeersch. In addition to the established names, we also offer composition students studying at the Belgian conservatories the opportunity to write a short orchestral work.
Every year, two students follow a course of several months together with the orchestra. During workshops, work sessions and orchestral rehearsals, their compositions are moulded and carefully considered. The apotheosis follows at a later time, when the Flanders Symphony Orchestra includes the compositions in its concert programme.
The SOV Composers' Academy is part of the Manufactuur project of De Bijloke Music Centre.
SOV Composers' Academy 2020—21
The selected candidates for concert season 2020-21 are:
- Ward De Jonghe °1990, composition student at the Royal Conservatory of Ghent. Under the guidance of teacher Daan Janssens.
- Tim Mulleman °1993, composition student at the Royal Conservatory of Brussels. Under the guidance of teacher Annelies Van Parys.
SOV Composers' Academy 2019-20
The selected candidates for the 2019-20 concert season are:
- Siebe Thijs °1999, student composition at the KASK & Conservatorium / School of Arts Ghent. Under the supervision of Dirk Brossé.
- Eliott Delafosse °1994, student composition at the Conservatoire Royal de Mons. Under the supervision of Claude Ledoux.
SOV Composers' Academy 2018-19
The selected candidates voor the 2018-19 concert season are:
- Karel Stulens °1997, student composition at the KASK & Conservatorium / School of Arts. Under the supervision of Daan Janssens.
- Jahwer Matmati °1993, student composition at the Conservatoire royal de Liège. Under the supervision of Michel Fourgon.
Interview / Boetiek Klassiek
On the 28th of April (2018), Nicole Van Opstal (radio Klara) spoke with Karel Stulens and Jawher Matmati, the 2 young students that were selected for the SOV Composers' Acadamy 2018-19.
© Wouter Maeckelberghe
The Flanders Symphony Orchestra devotes every attention to both young talent and
talent development. New courses provide additional support and guidance. Promising
conductors, composers, soloists and orchestral musicians are inspired, motivated and
enthused at the start of their careers. Together with the young generation, we are
building the future!