SOV Composers' Academy
New project for young composers in cooperation with De Bijloke Music Centre
Each year, the Flanders Symphony Orchestra assigns various composition commissions. New music is a permanent fixture within the operation of the orchestra: from Mauricio Kagel and Piet Swerts, through Fulco Ottervanger and Joris Blanckaert, to Annelies Van Parys and Peter Vermeersch. In addition to the established names, we also offer the opportunity to young composers to feature orchestral work.
Every year, two students of Belgian conservatories are offered the opportunity to work together with the orchestra for several months. During workshops, work sessions and orchestral rehearsals, their compositions are moulded and carefully considered. The final result is presented to the audience as the Flanders Symphony Orchestra includes the compositions in its concert programme.
The SOV Composers' Academy is part of the Manufactuur project in association with Muziekcentrum De Bijloke
FSO Composers' Academy 2020—21
The selected candidates for concert season 2020-21 are:
- Ward De Jonghe °1990, composition student at the Royal Conservatory of Ghent. Under the guidance of teacher Daan Janssens.
- Tim Mulleman °1993, composition student at the Royal Conservatory of Brussels. Under the guidance of teacher Annelies Van Parys.
Ward's composition was planned for the production Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto (November 2020) and Tim's composition can be heard during the production Tchaikovsky 4 (June 2021).
FSO Composers' Academy 2019-20
The selected candidates for the 2019-20 concert season are:
- Siebe Thijs °1999, student composition at the KASK & Conservatorium / School of Arts Ghent. Under the supervision of Dirk Brossé.
- Eliott Delafosse °1994, student composition at the Conservatoire Royal de Mons. Under the supervision of Claude Ledoux.
Siebe's composition, Temporalitascan be heard during the production Haydn-Mozart-Stravinsky (November 2019) and the one of Eliott during the production Louise Farrenc (May 2020).
Composition of Siebe Thijs — Temporalitas
FSO Composers' Academy 2018-19
The selected candidates voor the 2018-19 concert season are:
- Karel Stulens °1997, student composition at the KASK & Conservatorium / School of Arts. Under the supervision of Daan Janssens.
- Jahwer Matmati °1993, student composition at the Conservatoire royal de Liège. Under the supervision of Michel Fourgon.
Karel's composition, EXPIRED - miniature for orchestra, can be heard during the production of Tripel Beethoven (autumn 2018). Jahwer's composition, Entre-Tons, can be heard during the production Festa Italiana! (spring 2019).
- Composition of Karel Stulens — EXPIRED - miniature for orchestra
- Composition of Jahwer Matmati — Entre-Tons
Interview / Boetiek Klassiek
On the 28th of April (2018), Nicole Van Opstal (radio Klara) spoke with Karel Stulens and Jawher Matmati, the 2 young students that were selected for the SOV Composers' Acadamy 2018-19.
© Wouter Maeckelberghe
The Flanders Symphony Orchestra devotes every attention to both young talent and
talent development. New courses provide additional support and guidance. Promising
conductors, composers, soloists and orchestral musicians are inspired, motivated and
enthused at the start of their careers. Together with the young generation, we are
building the future!